MONROE COUNTY TO HOST SECOND PUBLIC MEETING FOR HOMEOWNERS NAVIGATING REBUILDING/PERMITTING PROCESS POST HURRICANE IRMA
Monroe County will host a second public meeting to help people, whose homes were destroyed or badly damaged by Hurricane Irma, navigate the rebuilding and repair process in Monroe County.
More than 20 County staff members – including department directors – will be at the meeting to explain County processes, provide information and answer your individual questions.
They are subject matter experts in areas that include: building codes, permitting, code compliance, planning and floodplain regulations for Monroe County.
There also will be representatives present from non-profit organizations that are offering help for rebuilding and repairing homes – and are providing free legal assistance for insurance claims.
What: Public Meeting: Housing and Permitting
When: Friday, March 9, 2018 from 3 to 6 p.m.
Where: Big Pine Key Fire Station, 390 Key Deer Boulevard on Big Pine Key
There will be several tables set up where you can discuss these topics:
- Damage Safety Assessments (Major Damage or Destroyed Placards place on some homes) – what does this mean?
- Substantial Damage letters and Repair Process
- Emergency Permitting/Permit Fee Waivers
- Work without Permits – what is allowed and not allowed?
- Manufactured and Mobile Home Regulations, Replacement and Repair
- Illegal Clearing of vegetation
- ROGO Exemptions process to prove your housing unit was developed legally and can be replaced or repaired
- Rebuilding and repair assistance from non-profit organizations
- Information on free legal assistance for insurance claims
There also will be information about future federal and state recovery grants that may become available for Monroe County homeowners. A Voluntary Interest Survey will be available for homeowners to fill out to indicate which of the following areas they may be interested in pursuing:
- Repair of Damaged Homes
- Replacement of Damaged Home with Code Compliant Home
- Acquisition of Land and Relocation of Home (same house moved to another property)
- Voluntarily Sell Land and House to the County so owner can move to a different home
- Elevate Home above Floodplain
- Wind Retrofit of House by installing hurricane straps, shutters, impact windows, metal roof, reinforced trusses and/or reinforced garage doors
Guidance/Care Center representatives, including Project HOPE, will also be there to assist.