On January 21, 2016, the Sheriff’s Special Investigations Unit conducted an operation checking businesses that sell alcohol in the Lower Keys. Eight businesses were checked including restaurants, convenience stores and bars. Five of the businesses served alcohol to a minor during our investigation. The clerks who sold the alcohol were issued a Notice to Appear in Court.
The following Businesses and attendant’s sold the alcohol:
1. Tom Thumb, 5690 Maloney Avenue, Stock Island, FL. Attendant: Angie Matril, 26 years of age. Notice to appear issued (NTA).
2. CVS Pharmacy, 5610 Overseas Highway, Stock Island. Attendant: Omar Betancourt, 20 years of age. Notice to appear issued (NTA).
3. Jolly’s Liquor, 5390 Overseas Highway, Stock Island. Attendant: James Hayes, 37 years of age. Notice to appear issued (NTA).
4. Circle-K, 1190 Overseas Highway, Big Coppitt Key. Attendant: Kathryn Careggio, 18 years of age. Notice to appear issued (NTA).
5. Baby’s Coffee, 3180 88501 Overseas Highway, Bay Point. Attendant: Rhiannon Hubbs, 23 years of age. Notice to appear issued (NTA).
The Sale Clerk violations are up to 60 days in jail, a $500.00 fine, $235.00 in court cost, $75.00 in cost of prosecution, and $40.00 in cost of investigation.
The Licensee Violations are:
1st-Offense $1000 fine and 7 day suspension.
2nd-Offense $3000 fine and 30 day suspension.
3rd-Offense Revocation of license.
The remaining businesses checked, were in compliance with the law. This operation was conducted in cooperation with the Monroe County Coalition for a Safe and Drug Free Community.