On February 17, 2016, the Sheriff’s Special Investigations Division conducted an operation checking businesses that sell alcohol in the Lower Keys. Nine businesses were checked including restaurants, convenience stores and bars. Six of the businesses served alcohol to a minor during the course of the investigation. The clerks who sold the alcohol were issued a notice to appear in court before a Monroe County Judge.
The following Businesses and attendants were charged with the sale of alcohol to a minor:
- Murray’s Market, 24550 Overseas Highway, Summerland Key. Attendant: April B. Harman, 52 years of age.
- Summerland Wines and Spirits, 24816 Overseas Highway, Summerland Key. Attendant: Stephen J. Oliver, 63 years of age.
- Dion’s Quik Mart, 24996 Overseas Highway, Summerland Key. Attendant: Teresa Blanco, 40 years of age.
- Shell Gas Station, 27300 Overseas Highway, Ramrod Key. Attendant: Marcia A. Hake, 28 years of age.
- CVS, 30401 Overseas Highway, Big Pine Key. Attendant: Lynn White, 51 years of age.
- Dion’s Quik Mart, 30989 Avenue A, Big Pine Key. Attendant: Allyson M. Kenna, 31 years of age.
The Sale Clerk violations are up to 60 days in jail, a $500.00 fine, $235.00 in court cost, $75.00 in cost of prosecution, and $40.00 in cost of investigation.
The Licensee Violations are:
1st-Offense $1000 fine and 7 day suspension.
2nd-Offense $3000 fine and 30 day suspension.
3rd-Offense Revocation of license.
The remaining businesses checked were in compliance with the law. This operation was conducted in cooperation with the Monroe County Coalition for a Safe and Drug Free Community.