Annual Event Supports Zonta Club’s Community Programs for Women and Girls
The Zonta Club of Key West will hold its 34th Annual Radio Day on Friday, April 29th from 5-8 pm, at the BottleCap Lounge, 1128 Simonton Street. A live remote broadcast on WEOW 92.7 with Rude Girl will showcase pre-recorded radio spots by local businesses that support the Club’s mission. The event includes music by Total Recall; an outdoor block party with grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and games; a fabulous silent auction; celebrity bartenders; and a reverse Chance Drawing with a $4,500 Grand Prize. You need not be present to win!
Proceeds from the event support Zonta scholarships for Key West High School girls and local women; the Heart Health Initiative which offered free heart health screenings to 80 local women in 2016; and our newest project, Journey to Success, which offers hands on training and practical tips to women and high school students to assist them in procuring employment and advancing their careers.
Only 250 of the $50 Chance Drawing tickets will be sold, awarding $100 prizes for the 1st, 100th, 150th, 200th and 249th tickets drawn and $4,500 to the final ticket drawn, or a chance to win a four-night stay in Park City, Utah.
If you’d like to support this vital Lower Keys-wide event benefiting women and girls in our community by purchasing a radio ad or a reverse chance drawing ticket or donating a silent auction item, please call Carolyn at 305-797-6558 or go to www.zontakeywest.com – click on “Radio Day.”
And don’t miss the frivolity at Zonta Radio Day on April 29th! See you at the Bottlecap Lounge!
Zonta Club of Key West is an international service organization of executive women in business and the professions working to improve the status of women. Their programs include Heart Health and Skin Cancer screenings for under- and uninsured women in the Lower Florida Keys. Zonta supports the girls at Keys Center Academy through a one-to-one Mentorship program and monthly Speaker Series in the classroom.
In addition to several other community projects, this fundraiser event supports Zonta’s six scholarships – four for young women at Key West High School in their senior year who are headed to college, one for women’s career advancement, and one for a woman pursuing a degree in business. They are:
- The Merili McCoy Leadership Scholarship named for the previous Zonta president and long-time member, who served as a City Commissioner, to encourage young women to follow in her footsteps;
- The Math and Science Scholarship to improve women’s status and gender equality by supporting studies that will advance economic development and scientific discovery;
- The Z Club Scholarship, which honors a local member of Zonta International’s young women’s organization who has achieved excellence in Community, School, and International projects;
- The Young Women in Public Affairs Scholarship given to encourage greater participation in public and political life by recognizing volunteer leadership achievements and a dedication to the advancement of the status of women;
- The Martina Thurmond Scholarship awarded to women over the age of 30 reentering the workforce or changing a profession; and
- The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business scholarship which supports women pursuing a degree in business management.