Boat Fire: Owner Mistakenly Pumps Gas into Bilge

Photos by Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Dawn Leird
Photos by Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Dawn Leird

Monroe County Sheriff’s Department reports a boat caught fire after its owner mistakenly pumped gas into the bilge instead of the gas tank. Neighboring homes were evacuated for a short time and the store is closed for an undetermined amount of time.

The 25-foot Seapro was parked at the gas pumps at the Tom Thumb store at the 102.6 mm at 10 a.m. Saturday. The boat’s owner was fueling it when he realized gas was pouring from the drains at the back of the boat. He quickly plugged the drains to keep more gas from spilling out.

Key Largo Fire responded along with Sheriff’s deputies.

The store was evacuated and Tow Boat U.S. was called to respond and empty the approximately 100 gallons of fuel from the boat. The job was about 90% finished when the remaining gas ignited.

As the fire department worked to contain the fire and keep it from escalating, deputies evacuated surrounding homes and businesses. The fire was contained a short time later. The Fire Marshal responded and will be investigating.

The Tom Thumb store remains closed due to damage from the fire.

boat fire tom thumb

[optin-cat id=”26188″]

Facebook Comments

Blue Paper Editor
Naja Girard

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. See our Privacy Policy here: https://thebluepaper.com/privacy-policy/

Close