by John Donnelly…….
Children and the world at large continue to unnecessarily suffer in pain and ignorance. Abundant “Answers and Solutions” await these young ones, however, leaderless adults within the fabric of a broken society beckon approval from their Masters, while cowering before the ‘god of political correctness’.
Empirical data with proven results are available to anyone seeking clarity and sound outcomes; when it comes to devising effective strategies and techniques that actually advance and educate our children.
On the ‘firing line of life’ empty rhetoric, ideas and instructional approaches bring failure and destruction to all who abide in such foolishness. Where the rubber meets the road; how have we faired as a nation and partner in the world at large, when comparing the accomplishments of our students to their counterparts?
Children and adolescents under the most severe of circumstances, placed in an environment that actually meets their real needs, have been catapulted into dimensions filled with hope, positive anticipation, achievement and courage to face new challenges, when provided with information pastoring the ‘wisdom of the ages’.
Students in a “Maximum Security Prison for the Criminally Insane”, upon participating in programs designed to awaken them to their ‘True Selves’ and ‘Potential’, while restoring the Relationship they share with Society; were able to change their horrific lives and ugly crimes into learning experiences that healed and transformed their lives.
After their release from confinement, I randomly came upon some of these young men sitting at a bus stop, as they were making their way to a job interview. I stopped and gave them a ride to their destination, while we discussed the progress they were making through a difficult period of readjustment. We arrived at the work site, it was a truck terminal where they would be loading and unloading vehicles. They were grateful for a job, fresh ideas and the new start they developed while under our tutelage.
They had defied the odds. Enlightened by a new reality defining them as individuals competently able to improvise, adapt and overcome anything that came their way, without resorting to crime. Their resolve and determination to maintain the awareness and uplifted consciousness birthed in prison was eclectic. The disabling mindsets of the past had been smashed. The focus of their attention was upon moving onward and upward; towards dreams and a future filled with infinite promise and possibilities.
In public school classrooms filled with ‘disabled & troubled’ students; the results were significantly more beneficial, when the instruction and activities outlined in this article were appropriately delivered to these children.
The accompanying “student scholarship proposal” was submitted to the Superintendent of Schools & School Board on September 1, 2015…
Peace & Social Justice Award…
The recipient of this ‘annual prize’ will receive a $3,000 scholarship. It’s open to all high school students in the district. There will be one recipient selected from each high school. It does not necessarily have to be given to a 12th grader.
Plan of Action:
1) Advertise the availability of scholarship.
2) Meeting and orientation with interested students.
3) An overview of goals and short term objectives required to be met by those seeking the award.
4) Sign up and ‘information exchange’ will initiate the process. Supervision, consults and answers to any questions will be provided. Contact will be maintained with each ‘scholarship candidate’ via electronic mail, telephonic transmissions and personal visitations.
Criterion To Be Met:
1) Participants will be introduced to the scientific techniques, effects and benefits of Meditation; while learning the proper methods and procedures utilized in Meditation. A bio-feedback device will allow each student to visualize, experience and compare their brainwaves, while in a meditative and active state of mind.
2) Guidance and direction will be provided to each student throughout the program, alerting them to any adjustments that might improve their experience.
3) A meditation group will be developed and meet regularly at each high school.
4) Individual proficiency in this practice will be assessed, reviewed and expanded upon.
5) These meditation groups will in turn keep their doors open for any new students who may want to drop in to participate or seek an instructional session. Techniques for Uplifting Consciousness, while Expanding Concentration, Awareness and Student Achievement; will be developed and maintained.
1) After the group completes their meditative session; topics to include bullying and school violence, along with racial and religious bigotry, will be discussed and elaborated upon.
2) Insights, perspectives, suggestions and potential solutions will be shared regarding the improvement of academic performance, creating a valuable school experience, correlating school with career ambitions; along with addressing any impediments and distractions impeding goal acquisition.
3) A series of ‘collaborative networking’ will be developed, to include principals, teachers, parents, students, convicts, the wrongly accused and law-enforcement.
4) “A Change Is Coming” will be considered as a theme, when addressing bullying, school violence and personal improvement.
5) I will meet regularly with the students.
6) Daily contact will be available for those interested parties via the aforementioned means of communication.
1) Develop a relationship with the ‘Innocence Project’, ‘Southern Poverty Law Center’ and ‘Wounded Warrior Project’.
2) Invitations will be extended to members from these organizations, seeking them to share their experiences as Guest speakers.
3) Individuals who were wrongly convicted and sentenced to ‘death or live in prison without parole’, will be available to speak, answer questions and provide clarity concerning their ordeals.
4) Law-enforcement officers injured in the line of duty and wounded in action, along with the family members of officers slain in the line of duty, will share their personal accounts and experiences, defining the horror and suffering caused by their loss.
As the school year nears completion, I will consult with the Principals concerning their recommendations for the scholarship. At an agreed upon time and location, I will present the recipient of the award with their ‘prize’ and $3,000 check.
If possible, as the school year nears completion I would like to sponsor a county wide luncheon memorializing the successful conclusion of this ground-breaking project. This commemorative event will include the Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of Education, Secretary of Corrections, Former Inmates Wrongly Accused, and members of Law-Enforcement; along with anyone else deemed appropriate by the Superintendent and District Staff.
I welcome and value your input, along with any suggestions that might assist me in getting this scholarship proposal out of the gate.
I would appreciate it, if you would please get back to me in an expeditious manner, as I’m in the midst of advancing this vision via the development of projects for those school districts desiring this opportunity for their students.
I thank you so very much for your time and consideration.